The 2021 group is named!
8 October 2020
A series of eight portraits/eight new writers are added to the collection each year. To this end, the project participants are delighted to also announce the fifth list of writers for Stage 2, to be added in 2021.
Portráidí na Scríbhneoirí Gaeilge is a multi-annual, multi-stage project. In the first stage of the project, the book and website based on the current archive of portraits has been made available to the public. In the second stage of the project, new additional portraits are being added to the collection on an annual basis, so that the archive of living Irish-language writers can be made as complete as possible over time. A series of eight portraits/eight new writers is added to the collection each year. To this end, the project participants are delighted to also announce the fifth such list of writers, to be added in 2021. They are:
- Antain Mac Lochlainn: novelist, translator, short story writer, and academic writer
- Deirdre Ní Ghrianna: short story writer and journalist
- Diarmuid de Faoite: dramatist and script writer
- Laoise Ní Chléirigh: children’s writer
- Máire Dinny Wren: poet, short story writer and dramatist
- Mícheál Ó Cuaig: poet and composer
- Pádraig Ó Riain: Former Professor of Old Irish, University College Cork, academic writer and toponymist
- Ríonach uí Ógáin: Former Director of the National Folklore Collection, and academic writer
Portraits of these eight writers, along with biographical information and other relevant details, will be prepared in the first six months of 2021 to be published by November of next year, when the material will be launched and the 2022 list will be announced. COMHAR and Foras na Gaeilge are very grateful to the writers and photographers who have agreed to be part of this inspirational project. This is an historic publication; a commemoration of all aspects of Irish cultural heritage, especially that which has been contributed by Irish-language writers.