The 2017 group is named!
14 December 2016
A series of eight portraits/eight new writers will be added to the collection each year. To this end, the project participants are delighted to also announce the first list of writers for Stage 2, to be added in 2017.Press release for the occasion
Portráidí na Scríbhneoirí Gaeilge is a multi-annual, multi-stage project. In the first stage of the project, the book and website based on the current archive of portraits has been made available to the public. In the second stage of the project, new additional portraits will be added to the collection on an annual basis, so that the archive of living Irish-language writers can be made as complete as possible over time. A series of eight portraits/eight new writers will be added to the collection each year. To this end, the project participants are delighted to also announce the first list of writers, to be added in 2017. They are:
- Bríd Ní Mhóráin: poet
- Darach Mac Con Iomaire: dramatist and scriptwriter
- Darach Ó Scolaí: novelist
- Joe Steve Ó Neachtain: short story writer, dramatist, poet and novelist
- Máire Nic Mhaoláin: translator and editor
- Orna Ní Choileáin: novelist and children’s writer
- Regina Uí Chollatáin: Head of the School of Irish, Celtic Studies and Folklore in University College Dublin, and academic writer
- Tadhg Ó Dúshláine: Former senior lecturer in Modern Irish in Maynooth University, poet and academic writer
Portraits of these eight writers, along with biographical information and other relevant details, will be prepared in the first six months of 2017 to be publicised by December of next year, when the material will be launched and the 2018 list will be announced. COMHAR and Foras na Gaeilge are very grateful to the writers and photographers who have agreed to be part of this inspirational project. This is an historic publication in an important year of commemoration of all aspects of Irish cultural heritage, especially that which has been contributed by Irish-language writers.